Re: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:05:06 +0200

I was in a stream class today and the lecturer mentioned just this thing. Create a second database and create bi-directional streams between the two.

1) bring the application down for a minute or two.
2) change the application to access the second server.
3) bring down the first database.
4) bring up the application. It will start to put updates in the queues
in the second database.
5) upgrade the first database.
6) bring up the first database and wait for the apply process to catch up.
7) bring down the application for a minute or two.
8) point the application to the first database.
9) start up the application.

Upgrade completed with only a few minutes down time.

Need EE for streams and works best in 10.2.0.4.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel