RE: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:58:38 -0800

I believe you would have to use a combination of RAC and DataGuard to do this.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bort, Guillermo Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 8:38 AM
To: Fahrenfort, Keith (PSS Americas Oracle); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

Well, I'm not sure this is entirely possible. Using rolling upgrades (which I understand were improved in 11g) could help, but from the base, there are *some* patches that would require downtime. However, this could be an interesting case. And if all else fails, you can always try contacting Oracle Consulting... or Tom Kyte trough ask tom...

Guillermo Alan Bort
DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company
ITO
Arias 1851
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires (C1429DXC) Argentina

Tel: +54 11 4704-3132
E-mail: guillermo.bort_at_eds.com<mailto:name.name_at_eds.com>

We deliver on our commitments
so you can deliver on yours.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Fahrenfort, Keith (HP Shared Solutions Architect for Oracle) Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 2:26 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

Hi, I'm working with a customer running a critical web site on a 10gR2 RAC backend DB - they support hundreds of thousands of simultaneous connections at the "quietest" time.

They have expressed a desire for NO downtime during ANY changes to Oracle, particularly the application of Oracle patches and Oracle upgrades (both minor and major), etc.

Any thoughts? Who's "been there done that"?

Thanks! Regards!

Please let me know if you prefer to not receive email from me.

Keith Fahrenfort
Solutions Architect - Hewlett Packard
Solution Design Services for Oracle
Shared Solutions Architecture
HP Americas Solution Architecture
Call 1.800.424.0993 option2 or email pss_at_hp.com<mailto:pss_at_hp.com> to reach the Solution Design Team keith.fahrenfort_at_hp.com<mailto:keith.fahrenfort_at_hp.com> http://www.hp.com/go/oracle<blocked::http://www.hp.com/go/oracle>

For HP's privacy policy and contact information, please see http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html<blocked::http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html>