RE: Use MV to convert 9i to 10g

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:12:13 -0500

Adar,

This is exactly how we migrated a database from 9i to 10g onto a new server. We had strict uptime requirements for the database. This gave us the opportunity to perform a switchover to the new server very quickly (like in an afternoon).

Look at creating the MV's on pre-built tables in your new database.

These are the basic steps:

Create the tables in your new database.
Pick and choose what tables need to be MV'ed. Example: Tables that are never updated can be moved now (like reference tables). Create the MV's on the other tables. Refresh them at a schedule that is convenient for you. It might be once a day or every hour. Pick the switch-over date. On that day, shut down the application on the source database. Perform one more MV refresh. Shut down the old database. Switch your application's database connections to the new database, start the application and you are on your way.

Hope this helps.

Tom