Re: decrease shared_pool size when creating large_pool

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:37:48 -0800 (PST)

> I am looking at activating "shared servers" in one of our 9i instances.
> I am looking at an old document I have from when did this in 8i in 2004.
> At that time, we decreased the size of the shared_pool when we created
> the large pool.
>
> I can not find anything on ML to explain why I would have done this?
> Do normal non-dedicated connections also use the large pool instead of
> the shared_pool for some storage? Any other ideas why the shared pool
> would have been cut in size?
>

> Jeffrey Beckstrom
> Database Administrator
> Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
> 1240 W. 6th Street
> Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Could that be related to the fact that before 10g, a server process in shared server config uses UGA for sorting and hashing and UGA comes from large pool (unless large pool is not configured)? See http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/LargePoolMtsPga.txt

Since the physical memory of a box is fixed, when you create large pool and if you don't want to increase SGA, you can shrink shared pool or buffer cache accordingly. But I think there's advice that you go the other way, i.e. *increase* shared pool when you run shared server config.

Yong Huang