Re: San & single point of failure

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:30:20 -0700

What? Why beware of that? In some places I have been, this might be the * good* stuff! :-) (And yes, I *do* subscribe to BAARF.)

What you *really* need to worry about is the situation where some idiot gives you a RAID-1 where the two mirrored volumes are at either end of the *same disk*! Not only is there no protection, but the performance is the stuff of nightmares.

Sadly, many RAID vendors actually claim that RAID-5 (well, *their* RAID-5, anyway) is just as good as RAID-1. Or better. And many storage administrators will believe them. Often there is nothing you can do about this.

Happily, I have yet to encounter a storage vendor who claims that it is a * good* idea to do RAID-1 with two slices of the same physical device. But every now and again, you may see a storage administrator do it. Usually by accident, I hope. Thankfully, I have never encountered this one first hand, but I've seen close. :-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead