Re: San & single point of failure

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:29:44 -0500

I've heard that several times before and the installations have worked well about half the time and not worked very well at all the other half of the time. It depends on your hardware and the expertise of the SAN engineer putting together the disk layout and all the other bits and pieces to ty into your database server hardware and operating system with an eye on the application characteristics (OLTP, DW, etc.).

That being said, give it a chance and see how it goes. But you should still squirrel away controlfiles, and redo logs (I also multiplex archivelogs) in separate directories to avoid the rm * thing (which happened to me about 15 years ago but the memory is as vivid this afternoon as it if happened yeasterday).