RE: performance impact of archivelog

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:43:04 -0500

1)

Have you considered using transportable tablespaces to plug in the large data changes so that block deltas on the precious whole can be archived and therefore useful with all manner of block repair? As the size of your database grows the likelihood of all variety of seemingly low probability block corruptions increases. Depending on the texture of your ETL this process *may* allow for horizontal scaling, secure recovery at every appropriate level, and quite possibly the widest window for analysis queries that have less contention for UNDO.

2)

I have seen a rock solid case for noarchiving; Clay Jackson of USWNV (a member of the 1990's Oracle VLDB) had data that was persistent on a switch for something like two days. With archiving it was touch and go whether he could keep up. With archiving off, he could load it something like 3 or 4 times a day. So he used a data capture database that was most certainly part of the production flow, but which was also only a way-station. If we needed to reload it due to a failure getting it through the "pipe" to more permanent and secure storage, he did just that. I guess the quibble might be whether that was a "production database" whether or not the contents that flowed through it was essential.

3) Never is a high standard. But I tend to agree with Greg and therefore I'd have to characterize the things and situations where I consider noarchive the best solution to either not be databases or not be production...

Regards,

mwf