Re: San & single point of failure

From: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:06:27 -0600

there are other reasons to multi-plex the controlfile If you only have one, you aren't guarded from logical controlfile corruption. OR, say, maybe a dba or admin accidentally removes one of your controlfiles.

In theory, provided your SAN adminstrators lay things out correctly, there may be something to be said for their redundancy at the hardware level. I've seen database be sliced up into /data and /archive. As time has gone on in my career, I've asked more questions on the layout and thought about things a bit more. I'm not sure there is a clear cut answer, but it definitely does 'depend'.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your