RE: performance impact of archivelog

From: Claudia Zeiler <czeiler_at_ecwise.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:21:17 -0800

Renato,
So far I have no more info.

In my thinking, 180G of redo log generation is already the strain on the system, and 180g of archivelog generation is just a background cleanup process that shouldn't affect the database. But I don't know facts at all. Maybe my assumption will cause someone to tell us that I am totally wrong, and "here's why.". That would be a start in trying to figure this out. I suspect that the answer involves a table with a name that starts like 'k$xz...'.

Please let me know if you learn anything. I have the same issue as you. Thanks,
Claudia Zeiler

From: Renato M [renatomelogomes_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 7:18 AM
To: david.h.roberts_at_logica.com
Cc: Claudia Zeiler; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: performance impact of archivelog

Hi, list.

I'm with the same doubt...
We have a Data Warehouse database in "no archivelog" mode with 180GB/day of redo generation.

because of a new backup solution/ strategie, we need put it in "archivelog ON".

Claudia,
Have you any other information about it ?

Thanks a lot!

Renato Gomes
Eds, an HP Company.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Roberts, David (GSD - UK) <david.h.roberts_at_logica.com<mailto:david.h.roberts_at_logica.com>> wrote: 1. Performance cost of running in archivelog mode.

We take our database out of archive log mode for a yearly batch process. Very roughly the dry run (which is run on a different but similarly specked machine in archive log mode) takes about 20% longer.

Obviously as the difference is going to be dependent on how much change is going on, your mileage may vary.

David Roberts
www.logica.com<http://www.logica.com>

Logica UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968) Registered office: Stephenson House, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL, United Kingdom