Re: Killed session

From: <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:02:27 -0500

In my case I had lock on one table by killed process even after more then 24 hours. I finally bounced the database.

Next time I have to kill a session, I will make sure to kill at OS level first.

Thanks
Mayen

jo_holvoet_at_amis.com
Nov 13 2008 04:15 AM
Please respond to
jo_holvoet_at_amis.com

oracle-l_at_freelists.org
cc

Subject
Re: Killed session

I have a similar issue on 9.2.0.7 SE on Solaris.

Long-idle sessions were killed weeks ago. They wouldn't go away, so the corresponding shadow processes on Solaris were killed as well. These processes are gone, the sessions are holding no locks, they have nothing in
v$transaction, but still they remain in v$session with status 'KILLED' (and
they count towards the max "sessions" parameter ...)

I've never seen sessions hang around (for a couple of weeks now) after the corresponding shadow process was killed ... anyone seen anything similar ? And if I missed something obvious : RTFM answers of course also much appreciated :-)

mvg/regards

Jo

             "Bradd Piontek"
             <piontekdd_at_gmail.

             Sent by:                  Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                          cc

             reelists.org              oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                                                                   Subject

                                       Re: Killed session
             12/11/2008 18:38

             Please respond to
             piontekdd_at_gmail.c
                    om

I have seen a very similar issue on 9.2.0.8 , Solaris 8, and it was a bug that we had to patch for.

Check metalink Bug #6279479 "Index Rollback taking too long to complete/hang" . I'm not sure if this is your issue, but it may be. Unfortunately, the only way we had of clearing it was to shutdown the database.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
  • William Feather

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM, <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com> wrote:

      Hi Listers,

      Oracle 9.2.0.8 on Solaris 9

      In one of my production database session was long running.  Session
      was killed last night. Since then session is marked as KILLED in
      v$session. This killed session is holding locks on few tables and
      causing further problems.

      USED_UBLK in v$transaction is constant at 287 since late last night.

      I identified unix process and killed at os level two hours ago,
still
      session would not go away. (os process is gone already)

      What else should I be looking at? How do I get rid of KILLED
session?

      I do not have luxury to recycle database.

      Your help is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Mayen

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 13 2008 - 08:02:27 CST