Re: Killed session

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:53:42 -0800

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:24 AM, <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com> wrote:

> Oracle 9.2.0.8 on Solaris 9
>
> In one of my production database session was long running. Session was
> killed last night. Since then session is marked as KILLED in v$session. This
> killed session is holding locks on few tables and causing further problems.
>
> USED_UBLK in v$transaction is constant at 287 since late last night.
>
> I identified unix process and killed at os level two hours ago, still
> session would not go away. (os process is gone already)
>
> What else should I be looking at? How do I get rid of KILLED session?

When I worked on Solaris (been a few years) we had the same problem regularly.

One thing I found was that if you first kill the session in the database, you're sunk.
It was necessary to first use kill -9 at the OS level to kill the process.

If we didn't do that, the only way out was to bounce the database.

This is referring only to sessions holding a lock of course.

Things may have changed between versions since the time I worked on Solaris, but it sounds remarkably similar.

Actually, I had seen that happen earlier on DG/UX, back in 7.x days.

> I do not have luxury to recycle database.

Once it gets to that state, and you can verify that there is nothing being rolled back by PMON, then there's likely nothing else to do.

Jared