RE: pa-risc to itanium migration

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:03:20 -0500

I did a Risc to Itanium migration on 9.2 many years ago. It was a PeopleSoft system, other than the binaries being different and that it was 64bit vs. 32 bit, there are no major differences. There's a utility script in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin that Oracle created just for this occurrence. Can't for the life of me remember it, Alzheimer's hitting I guess. I will warn you of one side effect, positive, just about all of your users are going to wonder where the faster response time came from.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International
978.313.3426
 information transmitted in this communication is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hammond, Charles E. Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:58 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: pa-risc to itanium migration

Good day all,

I would appreciate hearing of any experiences of Oracle database migration from HP-UX PA-RISC to HP-UX Itanium, especially relative to Oracle spincount, cursor sharing, HP-UX config, and any other lurking gems.

Environment:

Oracle: 9.2.0.7 EE, OLTP avg sustained connects: ~3900

HP PA-RISC: HP9000/800/rp8420, 14 cpus, 48877mb, os: 11.11

HP Itanium: rx 7640, 12 cpus, 49017mb, os: 11.23

SAN: EMC, 1GB interconnects, single NIC

Thanks.