Re: Arch log files sizes

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:35:07 -0500

One other thing, regardless of how big your redo logs are, having the archivelog destination fill up is a complete brand newbie error. Okay, it happens, but better not let it happen again, or too often if there are mitigating circumstances like a standby with dog slow connection (and you can even compensate for that).

If you're on 'NIX, script something to check the space used in the archivelog filesystem and have it backup and delete at a specified point and at least send you an email/page when space is getting tight.

If you're on Windows, it's much the same, just a little more difficult (for me anyway, I am not a Windows guy but i wrote .bat files to do it for the DBs I do have on that O/S).

If you're using Grid Control, you can set an alert with a "corrective action."