RE: need enhance feature for CBO :)

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:10:03 -0600 (CST)

With an IOT, I don't think you can count on it using a subordinate index at all when the optimizer constructs the query plan. Since there is no physical data construct, it's pretty much forced to use the primary key (since it is the whole table to begin with, in a sense). I don't know if it's documented anywhere, but I've never been able to get the optimizer to avoid an index scan when doing unqualified selects against an IOT.

To repeat another poster's question: What is your goal?

Are you really sure, even if the optimizer used the unique index, that it return the results set any faster? Are you hoping for partition elimination? I don't see how that could happen with a select distinct. Maybe we're missing something....