Re: multiple databases in a single RAC cluster

From: Bob <orcl_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:39:07 -0500

Thanks Matt, wondering if there are any specific white papers ( I couldn't find any)

Im thinking this would be a very complex configuration ie

asm disk separation - per database -

data guard DR for multiple databases....

the interconnect would really take a beating...probably needing nics for each database...

I mean that sounds like a "very" complex.

The client here is looking to save allot of money by consolidating environments of 15 databases on single servers with active passive veritas clusters - moving them to rac

The strategy is to save money (hardware and support) - I'm just not feeling it...

Im looking for some white papers for this type of configuration, and feedback for costs.

To me rac is excellent for a single database with the need for extremely high level of connections (amazon type, banking, financial), and high availability, but mixing many disparate (1-4 single application) databses into a cluster to save money just dosnt make sense.

Bob