Re: Can a bitmap index be used for index-only access?

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <riyaj.shamsudeen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:52:12 -0600

Steve

  Bitmap index 'index only access' is supported.   Query 'select b from t where a='a1' ' can be satisfied by index range scan on that bitmap index, with out any need for table block access.   Query 'select a from t where b='a1' ' also can be satisfied without any table block access. But in this case, full index must be scanned and CBO choices include Fast full scan/Index Full Scan. [ I don't think, skip scan is possible with bitmap index, at least, I have not seen it ].

  Same is true for B-tree index also, just index access is enough for both cases of these statements. Access path choice is an optimizer's decision and so inn your b-tree case, it is possible that another access method is cheaper..

Cheers
Riyaj
blog: http://orainternals.wordpress.com