Re: Vs: Re: Viewing bind variable values in 10g - Any suggestions?

From: John Kanagaraj <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:30:21 -0800

My understanding from a conversation with a cbo developer at OOW was that bind values are captured only at first parse and subsequently only sampled (again no guarantees), apparently when it falls outside of column hi/lo values.

On 11/7/08, Jared Still <> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Allen, Brandon
> <>wrote:
>> Just a couple things to add - you might want to take a look at
>> dba_hist_sqlbind (if you have a Diagnostics Pack license) if you're
>> interested in older bind variables. I think the way v$sql_bind_capture
>> and dba_hist_sqlbind works is that they only capture the bind variables
>> at hard parse time since these are the only variables that are peeked by
>> the CBO in order to determine the optimal execution plan.
> As we are not licensed for any of the diag packs, I modified statspack
> to get v$sql_bind_capture values, and run statspack at level 6.
> It has proven somewhat effective, though it will require more space
> for the statspack tables.
> Jared Still

Sent from my mobile device

John Kanagaraj <>< (Sorry - not an Oracle blog!)