Unicode data migration from SQL Server to Oracle
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:39:13 -0500
Good morning, all!
Currently we are building a system in Ethiopia - and as a part of the project need to do a data migration. So.
- Source - SQL Server 2000 Database with a number of tables with NVARCHAR datatype
- Stored data is in Ge'ez language - it does mean that there is no standard locale.
- SQL Server internally is using UCS-2 to store Unicode data (compatible with UTF16)
- Target - Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4) Enterprise edition on Windows 2003 Server 32-bit
- NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8
- Migration mechanism - Heterogeneous Services via ODBC
Problem - Unicode data comes to Oracle as '?'.
And it is not a visual affectation:
SQL> select ascii("Column1") a, "Column1" from test_at_db_link
SQL> Attempted actions:
1. OLEDB - the same problem 2. Third party ODBC drivers - don't even recognize NVARCHAR columns 3. Played with HS_LANGUAGE and HS_NLS_LANG - no impact.