Re: Standard Edition Physical Standby

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 18:40:31 -0700

Stuart,

I had (finally) posted some shell-scripts which had been laying around in my laptop for a while.  They are available at http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm, near the bottom of the page.  The four scripts are:
  • stdby_init.sh - uses RMAN to initialize or re-initialize the standby database from backups
  • stdby_ship.sh - "cron" script to run on primary database server; ships archived redo log files using the "scp" command
  • stdby_applylogs.sh - "cron" script to run on standby database server; apply shipped archived redo log files
  • stdby_chk.sh - "cron" script to run on the standby database server; verify that the standby isn't falling behind
I've used them in several customer engagements, mostly on various versions of Solaris.  I had written them before 9i Data Guard and managed recovery came on the scene...

Hope this helps...
Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO  80163-0791
website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim@EvDBT.com
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608
Yahoo IM  = tim_evdbt

Stuart Blackburn wrote:
Does anybody have any good examples of how to create a physical standby database on Standard Edition?  We're planning on rsynching the archive logs to the standby server and running a script to manually apply the logs on the standby database (which is mounted in standby mode).  I'm also looking for some good examples/strategies to monitor whether the standby database could theoretically be successfully opened without actually opening the database.  Thanks.

Stuart

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 06 2008 - 19:40:31 CST

Original text of this message