Re: Schema comparison tool

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:26:36 -0800 (PST)

If you are running 11g you could look at the dbms_comparison PL/SQL package.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

  • Original Message ---- From: Mary Elizabeth McNeely <mary_mcneely_at_yahoo.com> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:55:45 PM Subject: Schema comparison tool

Good afternoon, all,

I seek your opinions/experiences about tools that can compare two Oracle schemas (or the same schema on two databases) and make a report of the differences. Ideally, it would also create the SQL needed to resolve those differences: create indexes (or indices, if you will), add columns, recreate views, etc.

I know TOAD has such a tool, but it's proven ineffective for us, as it generates many false positives, especially when one schema is an imported copy of the other - that makes for subtle capitalization/double quote differences in stored SQL, plus other troubles. Physical clones don't have these differences, but we mainly want to compare imported schemas for divergence from their parent schemas.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you have to offer.

Kind regards,
Mary Elizabeth McNeely
Purveyor of Trouble

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Nov 06 2008 - 18:26:36 CST