Re: Is there a list of things (automated tool or otherwise) to see if a DB install done by someone else is reasonably good (performance wise) for an application

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:12:26 -0800

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Pradeep Chetal < Pradeep.Chetal_at_mformation.com> wrote:

> Is there any automated tool or a list of things to check to see if a DB
> installation (RAC or otherwise) is in decent condition and none of the
> obvious things are missing?

IMO that would be highly dependent on your definition of 'decent condition'.

Only some things are obvious outside the context of an application:

  • no invalid objects
  • enough room to grow a bit, and this is very subjective.

You would need to supply a list of parameters that are required for the applications in question:

* pool sizes ( if manually managing memory)
* db_cache_size
* sga_maxsize
* sga_target (if using AMM)

Whether there are any apps that automate this, I don't know.

Personally, I would write my own, as canned apps for database management tend to be unwieldy.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do this with a standardized text file for
configuration, and a SQL script and shell script driver.

Though personally I would use Perl for something like this.

Jared Still