archive database; --compress it but still readonly access to limited user;

From: Zhu,Chao <>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:57:17 +0800

hi, friends,

    We have a few database which stores archived data, it become huge in the past few years, as big as 100TB+.

    We have used compress table to reduce size for non-long/long raw tables and it helps reduce size to 1/3-1/6 with proper sort during CTAS. But 50%+ of the data are actually with LONG column. Two questions; 1. With 11g secure lob compression, anyone has experience with that? We can consider upgrade to 11g if that really helps. 2. Any solution outside of database? Like at Host/SAN layer... We considered ZFS (we are on Sun) and SAN team declined the idea.

Any comment/experience is welcome. Thanks.

Zhu Chao