Re: "Best Practices" for Application SQL coding

From: Rich Jesse <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:36:38 -0500 (CDT)

From a past life, a vendor's PDM solution thought it would be ideal to simply add "OR my_column = 'NEXT HARDCODED LIST VALUE'" to it's generated SQL statement for every additional item/sub-item the user selected on their screen.

Yes, there was also a "Select All" button.

Yes, some item lists had *thousands* of members.

I was asked to see what I could do in the database to make it go faster. Frankly I was surprised the SQL statement didn't surpass an Oracle (9i at the time) limit as well as fit into a contiguous section of the shared pool as well as actually parsed.

Don't do that.