RE: Can an ORACLE_SID be set > 8 chars?

From: Bort, Guillermo <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:09:04 -0500

On what version?

I specifically remember SID being limited to 8 chars (5 actually) for 9i RAC using DBCA, and I think that 10g dbca limits sid to 8 chars as well.

I'm sure if you use 'create database' command it could be altered, I'd have to check the doc but I think that it's documented as 8 byte limit.

Guillermo Alan Bort
DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company