Re: Version of Oracle Database without connecting to the database.

From: Fuad Arshad <>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:17:35 -0700 (PDT)

here is what i did to get my solution
sqlplus -v | awk -F"." '{ print $1 }' | awk '{ print $NF }'

the answer gives me what i was looking for

Thanks all.

  • Original Message ---- From: Bradd Piontek <> To: Cc: Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 10:58:31 AM Subject: Re: Version of Oracle Database without connecting to the database.

or you could try "sqlplus -v'
# sqlplus -v

SQL*Plus: Release - Production

sqlplus doesnt' always match the exact patchset of the database, but it'll get you the major level. I'd use that in conjuction with the oratab to get the oracle_homes.

opatch is nice, but it assumes you know the oracle_home already.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
  • William Feather

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Fuad Arshad <> wrote:

I'm trying to find a way to script finding an approximation of the version of the database without connecting to the database itself. The goal is to try to find out of the Oracle_home is a Oracle 10 home , 9 home etc .

right now i'm doiing something like
DATAVERSION1=`echo $ORACLE_HOME | awk -F/ '{print $6}'` expecting that $6 would lead me to something like /usr/local/oracle/product/10.2

but this is not a very foolproof implementation since installs can take various forms and break this implementation.

Any ideas of how i can get the oracle version info considering that i will always know the value of $ORACLE_HOME.