Re: oracle and vpn

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:46:40 -0400

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok, not specifically an oracle issue, but I am not sure where to post this.
> I am not a network admin. The place I am working does not have a senior one.
>
> I can connect to VPN to a remote site.
> I cannot tnsping the database I was told are currently. I have the full IP
> address. However, it is an internal 10.1.x.x IP address. I cannot ping them
> either. This could be expect since alot of places block ping traffic.

Can you use any other applications through the VPN tunnel, such as Remote Desktop to an MS Windows server or an ssh client to an ssh daemon on the remote network?

You want to first find out if this is a routing issue, or simply an Oracle-specific issue regarding NAT and redirection of dedicated server sessions.

There are docs in Metalink that cover this issue.

One method that I've used with success is to setup a dispatcher/shared_server on known, fixed ports such that no redirect occurs.

Another method has been to use port-forwarding in an ssh client (such as PuTTy).

This is likely a commonly encountered configuration issue that has well documented solutions.

Paul