RE: when to use hugepages

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:08:43 -0500

For a new set of servers, all 16 to 32GB RAM, I've asked that hugepages be used (RHEL 4.x). But sys admin folks have warned that if I plan on upgrading to 11g soon then we'd loose advantages of hugepages, due to MEMORY_MAX_TARGET and MEMORY_TARGET with 11g. I know zero about 11g, so I'd prefer to hear from you all. Is this true? If I have them set up hugepages then upgrade to 11g, do I loose all performance gains with that feature?

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA |   A c x i o m  M I C S / C S O 630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 1:52 PM
To: guillermo.bort_at_eds.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: when to use hugepages

The following ML Notes may be helpful

361323.1
401749.1
397568.1

Jared Still

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Bort, Guillermo <guillermo.bort_at_eds.com> wrote: Hi all,

  After the thread about hugepages a while ago I became interested in them, and told the SA about them. He said it's viable in most of our environments, so it now lies with me to decide where to use hugepages. As I have no experience with this, I'd very much appreciate any pointers as to how to decide whether to use hugepages or not in a given environment. Also, if you know of a way to 'benchmark' de performance to have something to show the customer (as the change would require some downtime). I think it goes without saying that this will be tested in (redundantly enough) testing and QA environments way before we even consider trying it in pre-productive and productive environmets.

Thanks in advanced

Guillermo Alan Bort
DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.