Re: ASM

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:06:53 -0700

Thanks Randy, you've made some great arguments for using ASM.

I have just one more argument against using ASM that I haven't yet mentioned.

Time. I simply don't have time to do it, and haven't had for some, well, time.

As a consultant you go in and focus on the task of installing db's, at least in
the cases you mentioned. The day to day production and development DBA work is done by someone else.

In my case, I am the only DBA in a company with 8 instances of SAP, 3 instances
or Oracle eBiz apps, 3 instances of Agile, some ClearQuest DB's, and a number of
other databases for custom and smaller apps.

This includes monitoring, backup, recovery, making sure the backups are working,
fixing them when they don't, etc.

Plus the 3 new instances of SAP that are being installed, trying to fix SSO and WF
in eBiz, and moving several databases to a new linux box.

The new linux box would be a great opportunity to use ASM, but I would first need to
use it on a dev box or two to become comfortable with it. And the deadline for the
new server doesn't allow that.

Sorry to be so long winded, but the point is that new technology is sometimes not
used for reasons that have nothing to do with technology.

I'm fairly convinced at this point that I should give ASM another chance, but my
time is limited.

Jared Still