Re: when to use hugepages

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <riyaj.shamsudeen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:45:11 -0500

Hi bort

I just resolved a major performance issue using hugepages, at a client site. IMHO, only reason I can think of, not using hugepages is that you are really low on free memory & you have other memory hungry applications in that server and you don\t want to lock SGA in memory. pagetables size will be a good indicator to show how much memory is wasted.

It is easy to prove your point. In test server, create a condition such that free memory is depleted. When kscand/kswapd wakes up freeing up memory, they will page some part of SGA also. Performance issue will be visible :-). Run a script in the background capturing per minute execution time.

Then, setup hugepages, create same conditions and see how performance is.

As long as, you make sure that databases is indeed using hugepages, it is an excellent choice.

Cheers
Riyaj
The Pythian Group
blog: http://orainternals.wordpress.com