Flashback on Primary

From: Maria Gurenich <gurenich_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:41:43 -0400

 Hi people!

Oracle 10.2.0.3 RHEL4 + physical Standby I am going to enable flashback feature on the production database and I have a couple of questions regarding this.

  1. I've heard a lot of talks about the difficulty of implementing FLASHBACK DATABASE command on primary if standby is not configured with flashback. Thinking about it, I am realizing indeed that I don't see an easy way of doing that. Let's say, I had to flashback my primary database. What will happen with the standby? I will need to open it in RO, find the data, and then make sure that MRP have synced with the primary. And I was told that this does not work with MAXIMUM PROTECTION. So I guess, my question is as follows: could you please advise me where can I read (or describe it in a few words) how the process of flashing back standby if flashback feature is not enabled on it will look like. And also, how it will look like, if I enable flashback feature on the standby (I think I would better just recreate the standby after the enabling flashback on primary).
  2. If i am not enabling flashback on standby can I have different ARCHIVELOG_DEST on primary and stanby? Will my ARCHIVELOGS (not flashback log) still be shipped to standby?
  3. I know that some folks do it in the opposite way, i.e. enabling flashback on standby only instead of primary. That is not my case. I do need flashback on primary only and I am trying to avoid enabling it on standby. (But I will do it if you guys tell me so.)
  4. Please let me know about any pitfalls that I've missed.

 Thanks in advance.