SRVCTL timeout setting

From: Tyfanie Wineriter <tyfaniew_at_uoregon.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:20:36 -0700

Hi all!

I have googled, metalinked, and scanned my heart out, but I cannot find a conclusive answer to this.. I'm hoping someone understands it a little better than I do..

I am running Oracle RAC 10gR2. I have noticed that when I do a "srvctl stop instance/database ..-o immediate", if there is a "stuck" thread in the instance, the srvctl allows roughly 9 minutes to try to stop that thread & shut down the database nicely. At the end of 9 minutes, it issues a Shutdown Abort to the instance and srvctl returns.

What I cannot find, however, is a setting for that Timer. Does anyone know of a configuration or setting to tell Srvctl how long to wait until aborting a database? _IS_ there a timeout, or is my 9 minute mark just luck?

TIA!       ~ Tyfanie Wineriter ~

Database Administrator

University of Oregon

1212 University of Oregon