RE: Memory issue with Oracle 10g database on Sun Server T5140 with Solaris 10

From: Mandal, Ashoke <ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:41:27 -0500

Brad,

I tried setting the cpu_count to 8 and then SGA_TARGET of 256M didn't work and had to use SGA_TARGET as 512M.

Thanks,
Ashoke

From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:37 PM To: Mandal, Ashoke
Cc: Keith Moore; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Memory issue with Oracle 10g database on Sun Server T5140 with Solaris 10

I"m sure you could set it to something higher than 4, but your solution looks correct to me. As stated earlier, oracle auto-sizes a bunch of parameters based on parameters you set. cpu_count is one of them.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
  • William Feather

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Mandal, Ashoke <ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com<mailto:ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com>> wrote: Keith,

You are right each thread is counted as one cpu. We have one T2000 server with Solaris 10 and the cpu_count is 24 and I didn't have problem in creating 10.2.0.4<http://10.2.0.4> database with SGA_TARGET as 256M on this server.

Where as on T5140 (Solaris 10) with cpu_count 128 I am not able to create a 10.2.0.4<http://10.2.0.4> database with SGA_TARGET as 256M. Either I have to set the SGA_TARGET to 900MB without changing the cpu_count parameter or change cpu_count to 4 and use SGA_TARGET as 256M.

I can't afford to have 900MB as SGA_TARGET for each of my databases (70+) on the same server. So my next option is to limit the cpu_count to 4. I am trying to find out from the list if this is the only option (i.e. cpu_count=4) to overcome my problem on T5140 server or there is any other recommendation.

Thanks,
Ashoke