Long running roll back

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:59:10 -0500

Hi all,

V: 10.203

We had a long running process that was running for hours (20 hrs for one qry) and the CPU usage spiked to 100%. We had to kill it. The status is being shown as Killed in V$session. It has been that way for the past several hours. Users are wondering when it will finish. Usually in this scenario I look at v$transaction to see the progress of it, but I don't see any.

v$session:

       SID SERIAL# CLIENT_INFO
---------- ----------

PROGRAM
OSUSER                         PROCESS

------------------------------ ------------
USERNAME MACHINE STATUS
------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------- --------
TO_CHAR(S.LOGON_T PADDR SADDR SPID PID
SQL_ADDRESS
----------------- ---------------- ---------------- ------------ ----------

       882 5587

SYSTEM                         1234
SUPRKRON
abc-dsonos4                                                      KILLED
03-SEP-08 11:03am C00000009EA9C7F8 C00000009D1A8D00 19385                18
C0000000928A0DE0

SQL> select * from v$transaction;

no rows selected

SQL>
SQL> select * from v$sqlarea where address = 'C0000000928A0DE0';

no rows selected

  1 select * from v$session_wait
  2* where sid = 882
SQL> /        SID SEQ# EVENT
---------- ----------

P1TEXT                                                                   P1
P1RAW
---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

P2TEXT                                                                   P2
P2RAW
---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

P3TEXT                                                                   P3
P3RAW            WAIT_CLASS_ID WAIT_CLASS#

---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
---------------- ------------- -----------
WAIT_CLASS WAIT_TIME
SECONDS_IN_WAIT STATE
---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
--------------- -------------------
       882      20028 kksfbc child completion
                                                                          0
00
                                                                          0
00
                                                                          0
00                  1893977003           0
Other
5         2409758 WAITED KNOWN TIME

I googled on kkssfbc and I got this:

http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/02-2007/msg00465.html.

16:23:18 SQL> show parameter cursor

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

cursor_sharing string EXACT cursor_space_for_time boolean FALSE open_cursors integer 1000 session_cached_cursors integer 20

Can anyone shed light on what is going on? THe OS process corresponding to the killed session (882) is using one CPU fully out of 2 CPUs.

Thanks.