Question re Physical and logical standby

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:27:14 -0700

Greetings,

I'm running Oracle 10.2.0.4 EE 64-bit on Windows Server 2003. I am performing these tasks from the command line rather than using the OEM. I have a physical standby for disaster recovery and now wish to create a logical standby to be used for reporting purposes. I have the second physical standby created and am preparing to transition to a logical standby. Two sources (Matthew Hart and Scott Jesse's book on High Availability and the technet article by Darl Kuhn, http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/04-jul/o44tech_avail.html have as the first step to enable supplemental logging on the primary via sql...

SQL> alter database add supplemental log data (primary key, unique index) columns;

Hart and Jesse say it should also be done on the standby whereas the technet article only mentions doing it on the primary.

My first question, does this need to be run on the primary and both standbys, only the primary and the logical standby or only the primary?

The Oracle documentation (chapter 4 of the Oracle Data Guard Concepts and Administration, 'Creating A Logical Standby Database') makes no mention of this but does mention building a dictionary in the redo data as follows

SQL> EXECUTE DBMS_LOGSTDBY.BUILD; My second question (point of confusion if you will), as I read the documentation it appears that these two approaches are actually different ways of doing the same thing, is that correct? If so and I choose to use DBMS_LOGSTDBY must that be run on the primary and both standbys, only the primary and the logical standby or only the primary?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center