Re: Filesystem Block Size ? 1K or 4K or 8K ?

From: <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:35:40 +0000

If direct io is being used, the difference maybe less. Anyway I don't see any benefit using 1k/4k blocksize. If you want best throughput, go with raw volumes. Have done all tuning on hp kaio setup to maximize os capability? Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: zhuchao_at_gmail.com [mailto:zhuchao_at_gmail.com]

Of course set to 8k

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:53:52 +0530
Folks

We are in the process of Setting up DB Server for an OLTP Banking Application Benchchmark.

HP-UX B.11.31
system device block size(think this is the O.S. block size) = 1K Base page size = 4K.
DB_block_size = 8K

Should the Filesystem (VXFS) Block Size be set to 1K, 4K or 8K? ... Personally I think it should be 4 K (i.e. Equal to the Page-size)

Cheers & Thanks V much

Vivek

P.S. Will provide any data needed

  • CAUTION - Disclaimer ***************** This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system. ***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***