Re: SQL question

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:36:51 -0600

Actually, this does not appear to be a "SQL" question, nearly so much as a SQL*Plus question. Unless I am completely mising something, anyway.

SQL*Plus is trying to do you a favour, and format your output "nicely" in human readable columns. There is nothing wrong with your data, nor with your query -- attempts to use INSTR and SUBSTR to remove the trailing blanks from your data are doomed to failure. Because there are no blanks. Remember, SQL*Plus is really -- as much as anything -- a report writing tool.

Sadly, I don't have the answer right at my fingertips, but the prior suggestion of COLSEP was probably on the right track (assuming that it is not, in fact, the correct answer). A few minutes with the SQL*Plus documentation ought to get you what you need.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead