More fun with Oracle Management Pack licensing

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:07:57 -0700

In another example of just how annoying Oracle's Management Pack licensing can be, I'm currently working on an SR where my support rep instructed me to run SQLTXPLAIN. I told him I was concerned that we may not be able to legally run sqltxplain since this is a standard edition database, which means we can't license the management packs even if we wanted to and there was some mention of the SQL Tuning Advisor (which requires a Tuning Pack license) in the sqltxplain docs.

He quickly assured me that sqltxplain does not require a license. I read through the documentation for sqltxplain on my own and found that, sure enough, it does indeed call dbms_sqltune by default, and therefore it clearly requires a Tuning Pack license for a default execution. It even states this explicitly in section 4.2 of the included instructions.txt file. Luckily, they were kind enough to build in a skip_tuning_advisor parameter that enables you to disable the call to dbms_sqltune so you can run sqltxplain and still remain in compliance with your license agreement.

Regards,
Brandon