Data Guard question

From: Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser_at_icat.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:51:24 -0600

Oracle 10.2.0.2
RH Linux AS4
No ASM

I just started playing around with Data Guard for the first time this week. For reasons I won't go into that MAY be related to age, I am using DGMGRL instead of OEM to manage the broker. The primary is called daffy and the physical standby is called daffysby. It seems OK in that I can see transactions get applied to daffysby but DGMGRL gives me a warning. It has to do with missing standby redo logs (SRLs) on the primary. I have SRLs in both the primary and the standby. The High Availability Best Practice guide alludes to putting SRLs in the flash recovery area (which I have not done at this point) but I am not convinced that is the issue. I've searched Metalink and the web for "missing SRLs" with not a whole lot of luck. All the redo logs are the same size.

My question is does anyone know to get rid of this warning? Can it be safely ignored? I would think not.

Any/all pointers/links/advice welcome. This is a test environment so I can try anything.

Thanks,
-joe

(hope this formats ok)

DGMGRL> show database verbose daffy;

Database

  Name:            daffy
  Role:            PRIMARY
  Enabled:         YES

  Intended State: ONLINE
  Instance(s):
    daffy

<snip>

Current status for "daffy":
Warning: ORA-16801: redo transport-related property is inconsistent with database setting

DGMGRL> show database daffy 'InconsistentLogXptProps'; INCONSISTENT LOG TRANSPORT PROPERTIES

   INSTANCE_NAME         STANDBY_NAME        PROPERTY_NAME
MEMORY_VALUE         BROKER_VALUE
           daffy             daffysby           LogXptMode

(missing SRLs) ASYNC

DGMGRL>

SQL> select instance_name from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NAME

daffy

SQL> select group# ||' - '|| type ||' - '|| member from v$logfile;

GROUP#||'-'||TYPE||'-'||MEMBER

1 - ONLINE - /u02/oradata/daffy/redo01.log
2 - ONLINE - /u02/oradata/daffy/redo02.log
3 - ONLINE - /u02/oradata/daffy/redo03.log
4 - STANDBY - /u02/oradata/daffy/stby_redo04.log
5 - STANDBY - /u02/oradata/daffy/stby_redo05.log
6 - STANDBY - /u02/oradata/daffy/stby_redo06.log

6 rows selected.

SQL> Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Holdings, LLC, Underwriters at Lloyd's, Syndicate 4242, scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.