RE: Sharing Oracle Database in Windows XP/Vista dual boot system

From: Bort, Guillermo <guillermo.bort_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:40:45 -0500

Be ware that Oracle 10g is compatible only with 32bit vista and has a special release (10.2.0.3) for vista. Other than than, I don’t see many problems, you could try it though.

Of course, you may need to create the OS services with oradim to start listener, db, emdb, agent, etc.

I think a saner approach would be to install a new home at the same patchlevel of the previous home (you’d need to patch the original one to 10.2.0.3 at least) and start the database using this set of binaries.

HTH   Guillermo Alan Bort

DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Dharminder Kumar Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:25 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Sharing Oracle Database in Windows XP/Vista dual boot system

Hi All,

I have Oracle 10g installed in Windows XP, which is running properly on Windows XP machine. Windows XP is installed on C: drive and Oracle is installed in C;\Oracle folder.

ORACLE_HOME is C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\db10G

I have recently added Windows vista to the same machine on D drive.

While booted into Windows Vista, I want to use same Oracle Server installed on Windows XP.

So my questions is

Is it possible to use the Oracle Server installed on windows XP machine without using any additional s/w, while I am booted into Windows Vista. I am assuming that I may be able to setup Oracle required environment variable like ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID pointing to c: directories and use sqlplus to start up the database.

Thanks in advance.