Re: Oracle on Windows Server - a lil' help?

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:50:47 -0400

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Taylor, Chris David < Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com> wrote:

> Doesn't seem to work on 10.2 on Windows 2003 either :) Supposedly
> EXPIRE_TIME=1 is supposed to work, but doesn't seem to.
>

> *Chris Taylor*
> *Sr. Oracle DBA*
> Ingram Barge Company
> Nashville, TN 37205
> Office: 615-517-3355
> Cell: 615-354-4799
> Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

Chris,

Environment:
Server OS MS Windows 2003 R2 SP2 32 bit
Oracle 10g R2 Standard Edition, 10.2.0.4 patchset, 32 bit. No one-off patches.

sqlnet.ora for the server:
sqlnet.expire_time=1

This in fact does enable the timer functionality for dead connection detection.
It does not work for values such as sqlnet.expire_time=10 that is referred to in the metalink documentation.

If you set the trc_level = support you will be able to observe the timer being set in the trace file.

Do you have the 10.2.0.4 patchset in place on the database server on the ORACLE_HOME of interest, including the ORACLE_HOME for the listener, if it runs out of a different home than the database instance of interest?

hth.

Paul

--
http://www.completestreets.org/faq.html