Re: Oracle Financials Training Options

From: Stephen Andert <andert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:57:22 -0700

Allan,

Thanks for the recommendations for books. I really enjoy the APress books I have read and think they are every bit as good as O'Reilly has traditionally been. I will look into those books.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stephen

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM, Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Reading the documentation is certainly good. There is a fair amount of
> documentation for the E-Business suite and if you take that route you will
> be at it for a while.
>
> The one week Admin class for Financials is okay. It doesn't really cover
> tech stack issues though.
>
> There are two books that are fairly good. One is by Barbara Mathews and
> has a title of Installing, Upgrading, and Maintaining Oracle E-Business
> Suite Release 11.5.10+. She also has one for earlier releases.
>
> The other is an APress book, Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide which is
> much more succinct. It is authored by Elke Phelps and Paul Jackson.
>
> Allan
>

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Cholakov, Atanas Stoianov <
> cholakov_at_gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> The option you are missing is reading documentation!
>>
>> As you said you are not new to Oracle Financials in this case if you
>> follow the docs will get used it easily.
>>
>> About trainings if you consider to attend in EU I recommend this guy (
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/norrbohm)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Atanas
>>
>> Stephen Andert wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've been put in a position of being backup for our Financials stuff and
>>> will need to provide coverage during a team member's planned time off. As a
>>> result, I need to refresh my Financials knowledge (~8 years old) and get up
>>> to speed. My employer is not against spending some money on training but
>>> has concerns with making sure we get quality (been burned in the past with a
>>> waste of time/money).
>>>
>>> As I see it the options are listed below with the main drawbacks listed
>>> in () after each:
>>>
>>> 1. Oracle Classroom (quality of instructor is variable)
>>> 2. CBT (no opportunity to dig deeper on "why", interruptions)
>>> 3. Third party training (quality of training material/instructor is
>>> unknown)
>>>
>>> My questions for you folks are:
>>>
>>> 1. Am I missing any options?
>>> 2. Any recommendations for #3?