RE: what could cause my oracle sequence nextval jump?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:42:37 +0800

"you can always run a process on the affected tables and re-set the sequenced value in order to avoid gaps".

I don't believe this. You are ALLOWED to do that ? And your users and auditors don't ask questions ?

At 12:57 AM Saturday, Bort, Guillermo wrote:
>If you need secuential numbers and cannot afford either gaps or locking
>and generating numbers with a pl/sql function, you can always run a
>process on the affected tables and re-set the sequenced value in order
>to avoid gaps.
>
>An alternative to sequences, when you cannot afford gaps is using custom
>pl/sql functions and perhaps even Oracle Queues. This would cause a
>serious serialization of operations though.
>
>Guillermo Alan Bort
>EDS - ITO DBA Main Group

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble." Mohandas Gandhi Quotes
: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html