restoring controlfile from a backupset after losing spfile and catalog

From: hrishy <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:24:21 +0000 (GMT)

Yesterday i lost the catalog and there were not controlfile autobackups and also no dbid just a backupset lying on the disk.

I did vaguely remember from the Oracle Press book by Robert Freeman which asked me to use the sys.dbms_backup_restore package to restore the controlfile.

But i still searched and came across the following metalink Note:403883.1

which tells me how to restore a controlfile from backupset using a simple command like

restore controlfile from '/mnt/RMAN_DISK_BACKUP/BKPDB08/c-xxx-xxx-xx';

and the controlfile was restored my question in such a sceanrio whats the use of the package sys.dbms_backup_restore ?

(my only guess is sys.dbms_backup_restore can restore from a tape too)

Any other ideas did my favourite backup and recovery book miss this or i missed it in the book ?