Re: Procedure to generate cpu load on a single core of a multicore cpu

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:36:15 +0300

For last 2 days I'm rewriting a report which does exactly that ;) It is written on SQL Server but I think it should work on Oracle too. In order to do that you should think in rows not in sets. So the idea of duhveloper was:
Create temporary table1 with N rows.
For each row in table1:
- insert it in temporary table2 just populating few id columns - calculate value for just inserted row for table2.col1 using select, which full scans table1
- calculate value for just inserted row for table2.col2 using select, which full scans table1
- calculate value for just inserted row for table2.colM using select, which full scans table1

Playing with values N and M you should get fantastic results. At least the duhveloper got.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu