RE: Server failures

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:32:15 +0100

We have a Unix/Linux/NT team who deal with all issues like that.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: 30 September 2008 14:19
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Server failures

So how many of you are responsible for examining your database servers for hardware/software faults when it crashes? Not the database, but the actual machine?

We recently had a server crash that reported problems when it came back up. It has also saved a dumpfile to be examined and it reported problems during the POST routine.

Now I get this email from my DBA manager: (paraphrased)

"Chris,

John [pc/lan mgr] requested that we try to put our finger on what caused MachineA to failover on Saturday. I looked through the logs extensively today [uh huh] and couldn't find anything - can you look around too and see if you find anything?"

-Bob"

(Obviously names changed)

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning....grrrr

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.