db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Claudia Zeiler <czeiler_at_ecwise.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:30:30 -0700

 From Metalink I got:
Starting with Oracle10g Release 2 the DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT initialization parameter is now automatically tuned to use a default value when this parameter is not set explicitly. This default value corresponds to the maximum I/O size that can be performed efficiently. This value is platform-dependent and is 1MB for most platforms. Because the parameter is expressed in blocks, it will be set to a value that is equal to the maximum I/O size that can be performed efficiently divided by the standard block size.

From Burleson I got:
Starting in Oracle 10g release2, Oracle recommends not setting the db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter, allowing Oracle to empirically determine the optimal setting.

One little problem, I'm being ignored!
SQL> show parameter db_file_multiblock_read_count

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

db_file_multiblock_read_count integer 128

SQL> alter system reset db_file_multiblock_read_count scope=memory sid = 'my_sid';

System altered.

SQL> show parameter db_file_multiblock_read_count

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

db_file_multiblock_read_count integer 128

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Why can't I unset the parameter? Thanks a million,
 Claudia