Re: OpenWorld DVD

From: Peter Robson <peter.robson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:18:54 +0100

Two Hundred Dollars! Excuse my cynicism, but when was it ever worth paying that much to see / watch Oracle promotion stuff? Even assuming there were some presentations that you REALLY wanted to see, it still means you are paying good money for a lot of irrelevant stuff.

If Oracle feels it can get people to pay for these presentations, they will. I remember conferences in which attendees were automatically provided with the presentations on disk, but the DVD was always a problem. How do you capture ppt animations, short of filming the presentation over the heads of the delegates? Hardly the height of technology. And many presenters will not pass on their copyright presentations involving innovative presentation techniques (which often involve very long hours of careful preparation) just so Oracle can bundle them onto a disk and make more money.

Don't be seduced by all the promotional fluff of the 'biggest Oracle event of the year' stuff. Take a very hard look at just why you want this disk,,, and consider the alternatives of obtaining the material (as a previous writer has suggested).

peter