RE: Centos el5 on IBM Thinkpad T61 - Oracle 9i (!!) install

From: David Ballester <>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:46:18 +0200

El mié, 24-09-2008 a las 08:29 -0500, Jay Weinshenker escribió:
> I beg to disagree David. I just verified that I am in fact running 2
> standby DBs on my RHEL 5.1 box along with a couple of
> DBs.
> It works just fine.
> Now whether or not it is a blessed i.e. fully supported configuration -
> couldn't say.
> FYI, this is RHEL x86 32 bit, not 64.

Hi Jay:

May be you are using a kernel less than 2.6.16 ( no NTPL threading - kernels 2.4 - supported , aka LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.XX ) but be careful if your RHEL gets updated, no NTPL threading model is available from kernels >= 2.6.16

As Oracle 9i was compiled in the 2.4 kernel/glibs ages, needs to use the old threading method.

For more info please read

metalink note 377217.1

also you can read a quick explanation at

where RHEL=Centos

May be, and take it very,very carefully, RH as made some backport/workaround in the kernel to support no NTPL on RedHat kernels >= 2.6.16 but I've no news about this, and frankly, sounds be very strange