Re: two instance -- one database

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:19:01 -0500 (CDT)

The reason I use a scenario like the one you describe is that the security concerns outweighed the negative impact to performance. I'm not sure how dblinks protect from bad queries...

In any case, we use JD Edwards Enterprise One. The first thing it does after creating a table in Oracle is "GRANT ALL ON schema.table TO PUBLIC;". Joy. An auditor's dream.

Instead of hacking with triggers and timing, I chose to not create any other schemas in our production JDE DB. Instead, we have an ancillary DB where the DML security is controlled via views over a dblink to the JDE DB. While more elegant (perhaps), it's not best for performance.

My $.02,
Rich