RE: Reserved word? or not?

From: Clarke, Andrew <andrew.clarke_at_logica.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:07:36 +0100

Hello Jack

> We have an external table that reads from a datafile just fine in Oracle 9i.
> However we upgraded our test environment to 10G and now it complaints about
> the column name "LANGUAGE". It expects double quotes.

Hmmm, puzzling. It works for me without a hitch...

clarkea:~$ sqlplus apc

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Wed Sep 24 09:01:36 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> create table my_table (language varchar2(3))   2 /

Table created.

SQL> create table my_table_ext
 (
 language varchar2(10)
)
 ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL
 (
   TYPE ORACLE_LOADER
   DEFAULT DIRECTORY clarkea
   ACCESS PARAMETERS
   (

            records delimited by newline
            fields terminated by ','
            missing field values are null
   )
   LOCATION ('languages.csv')
 )
 PARALLEL 4
 REJECT LIMIT 1000
/
  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Table created.

SQL> desc my_table
 Name Null? Type

  • -------- ---------------------------- LANGUAGE VARCHAR2(3)
SQL> desc my_table_ext